Monday, November 2, 2009

Lily's Run


A few weeks ago I set out to shoot my feature for photojournalism. I found out about an event near my home that was a 5k event for an 8 year old little girl named Lily. She was recently diagnosed with advanced neuroblastoma, a cancer in the abdomen. Just a few weeks prior she had started school and was a cheerleader in a youth league. I went to the run not sure what to expect. The place was packed and full of energy with bouncing tunnels for the kids, a live band, lots of vendors and a few falcon cheerleaders. In the middle of the event the forsyth county fire dept brought Lily to be with her family. This part was unplanned and a big surprise to most. With a weakened immune system she is not supposed to have close contact with others outside her immediate family. She spent most of the time in the truck waving to friends but made a special appearance onstage to sing a song. She sang "The Climb" from Miley Cyrus, one of her idols. There was not a dry eye in the crowd, including myself. Its hard to shoot and cry at the same time. I met many of the family members towards the end of the event and they couldn't have been any kinder and thanked me for coming. Lily has such a fighting spirit and is ready to conquer this. Her family lives by the phrase "Anderson Power!", their last name. I am very moved by this little girl. I am not sure if it is her love for peace signs and neon green, or her willingness to move forward acknowledging she has a long road ahead. I don't complain about being tired, or having too much to do anymore. I hope to have her same outlook in my life. I had the priviledge of meeting "Aunt Kristen" a few days later and showing her the video. I will remember this for a long time.

1 comments:

Debra Hodges said...

Hi Amanda, tried to see the video, but got an error message. I would love to see it.